I am not black or white
Because I am not one or the other
I am the girl sitting in the center of the movie theater
Laughing so hard that I shake the room
And your belly quakes with mine
But I am also the wallflower glued to
The corner of the dark bar
Sipping a vodka soda colder than
My empty stare
I am the girl that you can take home to your mother
And share my stories of the varsity dance team
And what gown I wore to prom
But I am also the bad news your mother warned you about;
The girl who smokes when she drinks
And lets you take me in the backseat of your car on our
first date
I am black and white
Mixed with confidence and muddled with pride
Tinted with ambition and faded with insecurity
I am the extremes and the in betweens
I am an evenly stirred gray
With equal portions of each
But I am not black or white
No comments:
Post a Comment