I fell in love with the way your arm tensed as you slept
Like a dog's legs when they're dreaming of a chase
And the way we dozed off miles apart
Dangling off the edges
And woke up like we never separated
I fell in love with the way your hand always found the small of my back
And fit it like your old baseball glove
I fell in love with the way you always ended your sentences with my name
And the "A" at the end rolled the corners of your mouth out like the ocean surf
And the skin around your eyes creased like the waves breaking on the surface
I fell in love with the way your tongue dragged across the inside of your bottom lip as you shook your head
And your teeth came down on your lip as the sparkle in your eye bit me
I fell in love with the way you told your father about me
And how he warned you not to embarrass yourself too soon
And you already had and I fell in love with that, too
I fell in love with the way you watched me write
Grabbing my thigh until your knuckles turned white because
You were so enthralled with the words on the page
I fell in love with the way your lips introduced themselves to mine
When you realized this poem was about you
No comments:
Post a Comment